Researcher engaged in scientific, industrial and socials causes, contributor of several open-source projects and and expert in the development of industrial large-scale projects.
Technician in Electronic Instrumentation and Process Control by the Instituto Federal de Minas Gerais with internship at the mining center of Alegria, working for the VALE S.A. Bachelor’s degree in Control Engineering and Automation by the Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto (UFOP) with sandwich period, funded by the Sciences without Borders program, at Universat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona / Spain). Doctor in Electrical Engineering, in the field of Computational Intelligence, by the Pós-Graduação em Engenharia Elétrica (PPGEE) the Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (UFMG), finishing his PhD in 2 years, with 25 years old, without attending Master studies. During the PhD, Vitor did an exchange period at the University of Sheffield (England), in partnership with the Rolls Royce Technology Center in Control and Systems Engineering, and at ORT Braude College of Engineering (Israel), as a Marie Curie researcher for the European Commission as part of the Seventh Framework Program (FP7). Thesis awarded as the best one in the Engineering area in the year of 2016 of UFMG. Between 2016 and 2018, he was a Post-Doctorate researcher in partnership with the Universidade Federal Fluminense, supported by the outstanding program PDR-10/FAPERJ program. Currently, he acts as an autonomous developer, researcher, investor and partner of different projects.
Vitor has been focusing in researches directed to decentralized environments and smart contracts. Active developer and collaborator of distinct open-source projects (vide https://github.com/vncoelho). Among them, contributing to the large-scale Ecosystem of the Neo Blockchain.
The main area he has been acting is computational intelligence and mathematics, focusing on the following research topics: mono and multi-objective combinatorial optimization, metaheuristics, robotics and automation, trajectory search algorithms, evolutionary computation, evolutionary strategies, multi-agent systems, time series forecasting, evolution strategies, mathematical programming, multi-criteria decision making, mining planning, operations research, smart and digital cities, optimization techniques applied to smart-microgrids, renewable energy integration with mini/microgrid systems, smart grids autonomy, energy storage management, vehicle-to-grid (V2G) integration technologies, forecasting of renewable energy consumption and generation, blockchain, the use of cryptocurrencies and distributed ledgers, machine learning, scheduling/timetabling, vehicle routing, digital marketing, adaptive and self-calibrated PID controllers, and development of computational frameworks. In addition, he also has interests in the area of neuroscience, quantum physics, analysis of electromagnetic spectra, astronomy, simulation of cellular organisms and their interaction with viruses and pathologies.
Co-chair and co-founder of the https://neoresearch.io, a place for scientific contributions for the Neo Ecosystem. Co-founder of the portal https://creating.city, an environment for academic and industrial discussions surrounding the cities of the future. One of the idealizes of the Grupo da Causa Humana (https://causahumana.org), a group of studies with researchers from distinct areas, focusing on a multidisciplinary analyses of problems faced by society.
Collaborator of the Laboratory of Computational Intelligence (LabIC/LAGO of UFF) and Machine Intelligence and Data Science (MINDS of UFMG) laboratory. Between 2009-2013, he collaborated with the Grupo de Otimização e Algoritmos (GOAL/UFOP). Promotes the potential optimization techniques in the resolution of problems dealt by medium and large companies. In this sense, he worked in the search of solutions for logistics problem for multinational companies, such as INDITEX (fruit of a partnership with the researcher Helena Ramalhinho Lourenço and Daniel Serra, UPF).
Updated CV can be found at: LATTES - CV
About Me - Detailed Curriculum
Researcher engaged in social, scientific causes, supporting social and software freedom.
- Post-Doctorate in progress, in partnership with the Universidade Federal Fluminense, supported by the PDR-10/FAPERJ program.
- Doctor in Electrical Engineering, in the field of Computational Intelligence, by the Pós-Graduação em Engenharia Elétrica (PPGEE) the Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (UFMG), with an exchange period at the University of Sheffield (England), in partnership with the Rolls Royce Technology Center in Control and Systems Engineering, and at ORT Braude College of Engineering (Israel), as a Marie Curie researcher for the European Commission as part of the Seventh Framework Program.
- Bachelor’s degree in Control Engineering and Automation by the Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto (UFOP) with sandwich period, funded by the Sciences without Borders program, at Universat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona / Spain).
- Technician in Electronic Instrumentation and Process Control by the Instituto Federal de Minas Gerais with internship at the mining area of Alegria, working for the VALE S. A.
The main area I have been acting is artificial intelligence, focusing on the following research topics: mono and multi-objective combinatorial optimization, metaheuristics, trajectory search algorithms, evolutionary computation, evolutionary strategies, mathematical programming, optimization techniques applied to smart-microgrids, Renewable energy integration with mini/microgrid systems, autonomy of intelligent networks, energy storage management, vehicle-to-grid (V2G) integration technologies, mining planning, multi-agent systems, time series forecasting methods, machine learning, scheduling/timetabling, vehicle routing, operational and marketing research, adaptive and self-calibrated PID controllers, and development of computational frameworks.
Participant of the Grupo de Otimização e Algoritmos (GOAL/UFOP), LAGO/UFF, Machine Intelligence and Data Science (MINDS/UFMG). Member of the Instituto de Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento de Tecnologias (IPDT), Ouro Preto/MG, Brazil.
I have been effectively working and researching on solving combinatorial optimization problems for real-world applications, spreading this knowledge and software to small, medium and large size global companies (such as INDITEX).
Check my LATTES - CV, usually it is the one that is most updated, with current projects and conference papers. While most parts are in Portuguese :) I believe you gonna have an interesting journey throughout my mother language, which, is, by the way, a beautiful language (such as the others ones).
- 2016/2018 Post-Doc researcher in partnership with the Institute of Computer Science at Universidade Federal Fluminense (Brazil), under the scope of FAPERJ Pós-Doutorado Nota 10.
- 2013/2016 Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering at Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil) with sandwich at University of Sheffield (England) and ORT Braude College (Israel).
- 2009/2013 Five-years Bachelor in Control and Automation Engineering at Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto (Brazil) with sandwich period at Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Spain).
- 2006/2009 Technical in Electronic Instrumentation and High School at Instituto Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil
Operational Research, Smart Grid, Smart Cities, Renewable Energy Integration, Mini/Microgrid systems, Combinatorial Optimization Problems, Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics, Metaheuristics, Mathematical Programming Models, Matheuristics, Forecasting Models, Fuzzy Logic, Deep Learning, Applied Probability and Statistics, Biometric systems and PID control.
I am also interested in neuroscience, applied magnetism, quantum physics, simulation of cellular organisms and their interaction with viruses and pathogens, and everything that involve living creatures, love, equality and a better life quality for citizens and society.
- Applied Soft Computing~
- Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews~
- Renewable Energy~
- Applied Energy~
- European Journal of Operational Research
- Energy Conversion and Management
- Sustainable Cities and Society
- Computers & Operations Research
- The Open Cybernetics and Systemics Journal
- The Open Fuels & Energy Science Journal
- The Open Mechanical Engineering Journal
- Recent Advances in Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Scientia Iranica
- Recent Advances in Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Management of Environmental Quality
- IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution
- Transportation Research. Part E, Logistics and Transportation Review
- The Open Electrical & Electronic Engineering Journal
~ Recognized as an outstanding reviewer in 2016
SCHORLARSHIPS, FELLOWSHIPS AND AWARDS
- 2016 Visiting researcher, during four months, at the Department of Computer Science at Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto.
- 2016 Travel grant to the REM 2016: Renewable Energy integration with Mini/Microgrid, CAPES/PPGEE/UFMG.
- 2015 Marie Curie FP7 Program visiting researcher, as PhD student, in University of Sheffield (England) and ORT Braude College (Israel)
- 2014 Travel grant to the 2014 World Congress on Computational Intelligence, CAPES/PPGEE/UFMG.
- 2013/2016 PhD scholarship from CAPES, Brazil
- 2012 Travel grant from studying abroad, given by the Brazilian Science Without Borders Program
- 2011/2009 Honorable Mentions granted in the XIX and XVII Scientific Initiation Seminar of UFOP
- 2010 Best work in the XVIII Scientific Initiation Seminar of UFOP
- 2009/2013 Scientific Initiation grants from CNPQ/FAPEMIG, Brazil
- 2008 Medalist in the 4ª Brazilian Olympics of Mathematics of Public Schools, Ministry of Education, Brazil
- 2005 and 2007 Honorable Mention in the 1ª and 3ª Brazilian Olympics of Mathematics of Public Schools, Ministry of Education, Brazil
- Metaheuristics International Conference and the XII Metaheurísticas, Algoritmos Evolutivos y Bioinspirados (Organization team, 2017)
- 5th International Conference on Variable Neighborhood Search (Conference Chair, 2017)
PROJECTS AND PARTNERSHIPS
- 2016 Forecasting models for household dissagregated energy forecasting in mini/microgrid scenarios, CNPq/PIBIT, Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto.
- 2016 Automatic music generating using a hybrid forecasting model, CNPq/PIBIT, Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto.
- 2016 Study of heuristic techniques for job-shop scheduling problems, CNPq/PIBIC and UFOP/PIP, Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto.
- 2016 OESIA/INDITEX, Large scale warhouse optimization problem, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- 2014 Development of a biometric system using brain and electromagnetic signals. Innovation project with development of a low-cost sensor.
- 2011 Development of efficient algorithms for combinatorial optimization problems, within CAPES 306458/2010-1 and 306694/2013-1 (Prof. Marcone Jamilson Freitas Souza).
- 2009 Efficient algorithms for solving combinatorial problems, within FAPEMIG CEX 00357/09, 00469/11, 497/13 and 772/15 (Pesquisador Mineiro, Prof. Marcone Jamilson Freitas Souza).
- 2014/2015 PROBIC/FAPEMIG – A hybrid metaheuristic based in logic fuzzy concepts applied for wind power forecasting
- 2013/2014 PIBIT/CNPq – A hybrid algorithm for machine scheduling
- 2013/2014 PIP/UFOP – DiA general study of direct marketing campaigns and operations research
- 2013/2013 PROBIC/FAPEMIG – A genetic algorithm for the vehicle routing with heterogeneous fleets
- 2012/2016 PIRSES-GA-2011-295152 – New Horizons for Multi Criteria Decision Making
- 2011/2013 PROBIC/FAPEMIG – A multi-objective approach for open-pit-mining operational planing problem
- 2011/2012 CNPq Universal 2010/2012, 482765/2010-0 – Efficient algorithms for solving combinatorial problems of mining and transportation
- 2009/2011 PROBIC/FAPEMIG – New strategies for efficient resolution for the open-pit-mining operational planning problem
Some general ideas that have been spread are
- Promote the evolution to distributed systems by decentralizing focusing on reducing costs;
- Promote social and software freedom;
- Embed privacy into devices used in our daily life;
- Resolution of Combinatorial Optimization problems in Smart Cities and the Industry.